Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Learnist - A Place for Student Created Content

I was first introduced to Learnist through an app on the iPad.  At first I thought it seemed similar to a Pinterest on steroids!  After I took the time to dive much deeper into all the content that was presented though this interactive platform, then I tried to think of a way to use it in my PreCalculus classroom.  Then it hit me!  Why don't I make a project for my students by having them create their own content on Learnist and then share it with their peers!  Woohoo!  I'm such a genius!

After much deliberation of how to tackle this assignment, this is what I came up with.

Learnist Project Guidelines

I let the students choose their own groups of 3-4 students.  By allowing them to be in this size of a group, it allowed each student to be responsible for at least one "learning" for their group's board.  It also shared the responsibilities throughout the group so that each individual was not "overloaded" with having to create their own learning board.

As with anything new, the students groaned when they had to do something extra outside of their normal homework assignments.  After going through this process once, I'm hoping that the students will be a little bit more understanding of the reason behind creating their own content.  I created a couple of boards of my own.  One of the boards included videos of how to create the items that were required for their group's boards.  This board included videos on creating an account, adding a learning, creating a Google Presentation slide, creating and adding an Educreations example, and sharing their board.  My other board was an "example" board for the students to use as a template.

Below are a couple of examples of my students' work.  Please feel free to comment on their boards, or to comment on my boards as to give some constructive criticism for either of us.  Thanks in advance!

Student Example 1
Student Example 2
Student Example 3

No comments:

Post a Comment