Thursday, January 2, 2014

iPads, Apps, Online Storage, Styluses,...Hooray!

Good morning, all!

First off, I hope everyone has a nice, relaxing, yet exciting Christmas Break!  I know I can't wait to start putting together 10+ Lego sets with my kids on the 25th!  (My wife and I had to get them gifts we liked as well.)  Speaking of gifts, the Technology Department spent the last couple of days distributing iPads to the teachers.  In case you were wondering what those nice shiny items can do, it is NOT this:  http://youtu.be/LeA5xU2YjXk

I imagine after the holidays settle down a little bit you may want to play around with your iPad.  If this is the case, here are a few Apps (short for Applications) you may be interested in toying around with.

1.  Dropbox (FREE) - www.dropbox.com - This is an app AND an internet site where you can store documents, videos, and other files and can access them from anywhere on any device.  I use it to store current files I am using for my classes.  This way if I am at home working, I have access to everything I need.  This comes in real handy when I need to email sub plans because one of my kids is sick at home.  You start with 2 GB of storage, but can increase your storage if you refer other friends.  (Feel free to increase my storage at this link:  https://db.tt/riO7HBy)  Ha!  This app can also be installed on other Apple devices, such as iPhones or iPods, and on your desktop.

2.  Notability - This is a notetaking app for your iPad.  It is not FREE ($2.99) and would need to be purchased with your own iTunes account, but it is worth it!!  You are able to import .PDF files and record audio while writing down any notes.  I use this for any meeting or conference I attend.  I especially like the audio feature in case I miss something and wish the speaker could repeat something.  Another nice feature is that you can email/share your notes with others at the push of a button.

3.  Educreations (FREE) - Have you ever had a lesson that students wish you would review with them?  For math, I get it all the time.  With the Educreations app you can use an interactive whiteboard to describe anything.  You are able to write on the whiteboard, record your audio, import pictures, and save it to a file.  The nice thing about your saved files is that they are saved on the internet and have a URL address as well.  Now you can now share them with others via Twitter, email, or a link.  Here is an example of a problem that I have shared with my students in the past.  Another similar app is called ShowMe.  It does about the same job as Educreations.

Some have asked me what I use to write on the iPad.  I used to have a basic stylus from WalMart where I could write and use it as a pointer.  I have since upgraded to an Adonit Jot Pro.  It was a little more expensive, but worth it for myself.  (According to Mr. Painter, it is $6 cheaper at Best Buy right now.)  You can find them anywhere including Amazon.  There are plenty to choose from.  It just depends upon how much you want to spend and what you want to use it for.

I hope these apps might get you a good start on working with your iPad.  Be on the lookout in the future for more "interesting" apps.  I'm planning on starting "Techie Tuesday" where I will share an app or website that you may find useful for your classroom.  If you want to know more or have questions about how to integrate your iPad/apps in your classroom, do not hesitate to ask anyone on the Tech committee for assistance.

Have a Blessed Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment