Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Techie Tuesday - Version 1.4 - ThingLink and Action Movie FX

Welcome to the 4th installment of Techie Tuesday!  Today I would like to cover a couple of apps that are quick and easy to use.  I like to use them both for class AND for fun!  Please share how you think you could use them in your classroom.

1.  ThingLink (FREE) - Thinglink is a neat app AND website where you can make picture images interactive.  This is a pretty cool way to give more meaning to a picture.  Have you ever wanted to explain a picture in more detail?  With ThingLink, you can insert text, links to other webpages, or YouTube links into your image. Wow!  Talk about powerful!  Here are 65 ways in which to use Thinglink.  This past weekend I created an activity for my PreCalculus students to do in class (if we ever return).  My hopes is that this is a fun, yet engaging activity for my students.  I mean, it has to be better than doing a worksheet or math problems out of a book, right?!?!  Well, we will see.  My goal is to have students start creating and synthesizing their knowledge in more ways than just paper-and-pencil and quizzes and tests.  I believe ThingLink can help students develop 21st Century Skills and increase their enthusiasm for learning.  Whenever I get into graphing, this is one of the areas I really enjoy using ThingLink.  (I really need to use it more.)  Below is an example about "Fun Facts of Europe".  How could you use ThingLink in your classroom?



2.  Action Movie FX (FREE) - This is a fun app for the iPad and other Apple devices.  I first used it for personal uses before I used it in the classroom.  (Yes, I started by blowing up family members so they might get the hint about talking too much.)  Have you ever had one of those days in class when the students just won't stop talking?  It doesn't matter what you do, they just can shut it.  Well, this is where I decided to introduce it to the classroom.  


Believe it or not, the students actually got the hint and stopped talking.  There was another day when the students were really struggling with the topic in class.  So I decided to share this video later that evening.


I have also used Action Movie FX in a couple of my math music videos and even over this past Christmas Break.  Oh man, some days I have too much time on my hands.  Feel free to share with everyone else how you can use Action Movie FX for your classroom, or yourself.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment