Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Techie Tuesday - Version 1.5 - Digital Learners--Students, and Teachers

Good day to you all!  Sorry this is a little late for your Tuesday, but I figured better late than never, right Lance!  I'm hoping that you are staying safe with all this wonderful snow we have been having.  I think an email from Cindy really sums it up for everyone.


Well, with all your "FREE" time, take the time to brush up on some of your technology!  Last week I mentioned the wonderful website/app named ThingLink.  I know a couple of you have looked into it and have found how interesting and useful it is for the classroom.  I decided to give my PreCalculus classes an activity that required them to create their own ThingLink.  Below are a couple of their finished products.

(Created by Destiny D. and Edgar E.)

(Created by Luke S., Nick L., and Derek C.)

I'm trying to create more activities similar to this so my students can show their creativity.  If you have not seen the Model Schools Rigor/Relevance Framework, you will notice that this activity falls into a higher category than just memorizing content.

NEW to the Techie Tuesday blog post!  I am going to start having a "guest" post each week.  My goal is to get a teacher in our building or corporation to share an interesting app or website they use in class.  These posts can include a success story, or better yet, a failed attempt at implementing technology in class.  Some times these are the best stories!  Sharing a "fail" can help a teacher learn how to make adjustments to what is a neat activity.  Remember, it is okay to fail, and to let the students see you fail.


FEATURE TECHIE OF THE WEEK - Mrs. Desiree Swaim

"Quizlet is a FREE app with flash card sets for all different subject.  I can type in "Mitosis" in the search bar and many different sets will come up.  I set up review stations and use Quizlet at one of the stations.  Here students can study key terms in Quizlet.  They can quiz themselves in the 'Learn' feature or study in the 'Scatter' feature.  You can also save your favorite sets to use from year to year.  Students can also get this app on their smartphone or ipod."



Thanks for sharing, Dez!  I'd like to add that you could have students create THEIR own flash cards through this website as well!  Next time you think about having the kids create flash cards for class, have them try their hand at creating digital flash cards using Quizlet.  Much more fun, and accessible, for the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment